You Are Reading

SUILVEN_PRESENTATION&EVALUATION

Similar to the Rudimental Drums brief, this brief was completed earlier in the year as a short brief ‘in-between’ collaborative briefs. I enjoyed working on the type design for this brief as I tried to achieve a bold typeface without using bold shapes. I wanted something easily identifiable with a distinct natural character. In addition to this, I wanted the typeface to be clear. The name Suilven comes with a difficult pronunciation, and I wanted the letters to be clear and stand in their own space.

This work was done earlier in the year, and I feel that since conducting the brief my ability to design, and the quality of my work has greatly improved. While I do not remotely consider myself a type designer, I enjoyed creating the typography for the band. I do not have an interest in creating the everyday functional typography that is created by foundries such as Dalton Maag or Colophon. I feel these typefaces need to be created by people who dedicate their life to the world of type design, and that is something that I am just not willing to do. Despite this, I enjoy creating one off word marks like this one. This is due to the quick turnaround of the marks, and I can focus on the letters work together immediately. I find this particularly interesting when text becomes more flamboyant and each character physically interacts with the one next to it. This is something I have done outside of this module and I found it very therapeutic. I think I know have the abilities to create a desired effect through the use of software and my own design ability. This is something that has been nurtured throughout the three years, and I feel confident in my ability, and I will capitalise on it in future by taking on more briefs.

I am not particulary too interested in making a habit of doing design for bands, however the wider music industry in terms of events, businesses, and organisations does interest me greatly. I am personally in the band I have carried out the work for, so I felt that I had vested interests in this brief. I think it is important to use my design abilities to help myself out from time to time, and this is definitely something I will carry into the future. I am very interested in the idea of creating design for my own personal ventures, outside of my day-to-day graphic design practice, perpetuating my own contexts for my design and experimentation.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.