You Are Reading

SECRET7_PRESENTATION&EVALUATION




Once again this was a very process led brief. Similar to the SHED brief, I meandered through different stages of development, from developing an idea for a visual and running with the first thing I thought of. Once again, a very visceral and intuitive response, which can not be relied on to produce good work, but nonetheless it worked for me very well here. As I conducted the photography I realised that the image would need some heavy post production in order to acheive what I had in my minds eye. It turned out that this informed my concept and made it stronger.

When conducting the work for the brief, I thought about the context of what I was achieving. No, the design direction and the overall product was not something that I thought would become a reality, and no I do not want to be known as a record sleeve designer (as if there were a bigger cliche in graphic design). However, yes, I do like the idea of exhibiting work, albeit not strictly design work. This is why I tried to layer the concept and play with the context and meaning of the cover to provoke opinions on the song. If I was to submit this as an art piece I am sure there would be a multi-level concept referencing the potential for a fourth wave feminism in contemporary culture. I have always been fascinated with the push and pull relationship of art and design, and I would like to make this a wider context for my design practice later in life. I like the notion that art is designed, and you can apply many of the same concept building principles in the creation of art. For example, I think it would be interesting to use the Google Product Design Sprint, to create an exhibition. I find it interesting how an image like this can quickly be devalued by design by putting it on a poster and adding some typography relating it to a saleable commodity.

I was happy with the image, and the brief has allowed me to think about design from a fine art perspective. Having a previous background studying art, I think it would be nice to reintroduce this into my practice whether it be personally or professionally. However, this is something I am not looking to do for another few years, but I think it is important to be aware of the potential contexts and future application of my work.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.