You Are Reading

DRIP_PRESENTATION&EVALUATION



The brief started out very well. I personally had to pitch to get the brief, to do this had to put together a personal portfolio of work, and respond to a set brief from the film director.

Having been successful with this I thought that this would give me a level of ownership and garner a certain respect as the graphic designer. However, it became apparent that the director had a very particular idea about the film’s graphic design elements. While some ideas were kept, such as the child like scrawls, many of our ideas were at the mercy of the director. I feel that this lead to a very average and immature response. The design process became very difficult to navigate through as a multitude of amendments came through for a range of different deliverables. This meant that the design became a mash of initially good ideas followed by bad and unimaginative executions. The issues arose due to a lack of planning , a forced aesthetic, a failure to take control of the design direction and as a result, a mundane and difficult design process.

Working within the context of film is something that initally excited me and was something that I was interested to be a part of, however I did not particularly enjoy the brief, and it has helped me realise that I do not want to design for film directly. I think the industry is highly intriguing, however I think my own interests and skills are more directed towards the wider contexts of film, such as, theatres, production companies, as opposed to the film itself. Perhaps this is too quick to right off, and it may be safe to assume that my next experience will be better after learning so much from this brief, but as far as I am aware, I will be steering clear of working within the context of film directly.

Ultimately the director was very happy with the work that was done, however, I personally was left very unsatisfied with the brief itself. The design work completed struggles to be called graphic design, and reminds me of a photoshop project done by a 14 year old.



Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.