You Are Reading

SHED_PRESENTATION&EVALUATION













This brief was very quick turnaround, going from research/concept to print in less than 3 days. The brief was very refreshing, the previous briefs relied heavily on concept, which made for a slow and testing design process. The frustration at not finding the spark immediately was completely averted in this brief. The concept arrived from being completely process driven, and seemed to mature as we made quick and instinctual decisions. The quick choice of content and flippant decisions made over stock seemed to compliment the design direction rather than compromise it.

I was happy with the design process, I was happy with the design, and I was very happy with the direction feel of the poster. If I could change anything it would only to be push the brief further. To consider that this is a for an event I would have loved to have a wider input into the art direction of the event itself. Bring the feel of the print to the broader context of the event. Similar to the BLADE brief, I feel that my job as a designer has only been half done. I am starting to think what good is it to design a poster or visual appearance for an event, brand, or institution without following it through to it’s live context. As graphic designers, we create and manipulate form, colour, tone, usually within 2D space, whether it be within a print or digital environment. It only seems to make sense to me that my natural progression as a designer is to take these sensibilities and follow them through to the 3D contexts. While I realise this is not for the case for all designers, I think that might prior experience as an architecture student gives me a desire to move into the 3D environment to create the visual consistency of a brand or event’s tone, shape and form.

I think the visceral and natural process of this brief has allowed me to think about the context of my design. I have realised that I like to think about cultural events and brands as a defining part of my practice and this is something that I want to capitalise on with my remained briefs, and my practice after college.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.