You Are Reading

ELMWOOD_PRESENTATION&EVALUATION






This brief has been another exercise in applying copy to a brand. I think I have fully exercised and nurtured my interest in copy here and improved the ability to apply appropriate copy and within promotion that compliment a brand tone and aesthetic.

Presenting the brief at Elmwood was a great experience, especially as I thoroughly believed in the material I was presenting. The presentation went really well with Chris, the design director at Elmwood, saying that the brief had the potential to be award winning. This was particularly nice to hear, and I think it was down to the simplicity of the idea and relationship of each of the brand elements that helped it be so strong. A part of the crit Chris gave concerned a couple of visual elements that did not quite work overall. The presentation won a chance for a placement at Elmwood, which I will be engaging with after I leave university.




After the crit, I returned to the brief to tighten the visual appearance of the brand and expand some of the deliverables that I had not had time to execute before the presentation at Elmwood.

The context of this brief in my overall design practice is an interesting conflict of interests. While I have no intention in pursuing the industry of dog kennels, or indeed anything to do with animal hospitality, I had to rise to this challenge in order to have the opportunity of presenting my work and myself infront of a design agency. Through working on the brief I have refined a set of skills that focus on the appropriate application of my design practice. The design itself will not win any awards, however, I have understood that the effectiveness of a brand and more generally a concept can not rely on the design itself, but the overarching relationship between content and design direction, and a will to step back from being a designy designer.

As I move forward from this brief and into the wider world, I will focus what I have learnt from this brief toward a setting of more geared toward the cultural sector.


Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.