You Are Reading

FLAG/TBM_RESEARCH



What did I do?

For the research in this brief I spent my time researching the foundations of a flags meaning, and how the existing flag is applied in a range of contexts. This was a good brief to research for as it meant I would resist any form of superficial research on 'design blogs' and instead look into the heart of the matter. Doing this meant, that I was able to analyse the problem at hand, do research that would assist me in the answering of that problem, as opposed to influencing a visual style. 

I looked into a range of different things which ranged from, existing briefs set by the Guardian similar to this brief, and articles that cover a similar topic such as the one set by Coley Porter Bell. I looked further into flag anatomy from some secondary sources from the library, and this helped bring to light some technicalities of flag making that I was totally unaware of, and opened a door into a world of design that had never even occurred to me: THE FLAG.


What could I have done?

I feel that my research lacked primary research. Asking round the year group there were many different answers as to what the flag meant to each individual. In reality, vast surveys would have to be conducted in order to get a true reflection of the overall countries viewpoint. In reality, any one design would not please everyone, but I suppose that the answer would be to either not change the flag at all, or please the majority. 

As for more attainable research methods, I feel I could have experimented with the flag in a process led way, which I feel would give me an understanding of the flags form.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.