You Are Reading

FLAG/DR.ME_PROJECT






The Dr.Me brief has been very worthwhile for me as a designer as it has allowed me to implement design in a new way. Curating design has been something that has been on my radar for a while, and it seems to make for a visually diverse exhibition. I think that it has made me aware that I am not particularly interested in pursuing a career in curation, especially of design objects. The idea of exhibiting design is a practice that is absolutely fine for those dedicated to the cause. However, I feel that the insular nature of this type of exhibition is not particularly for me to co-ordinate. 

Despite this, I very much enjoyed working on the brief itself as it allowed me to respond to instinct and work in a visceral and less pragmatic way. This is something I have not done in 4 years since my art A-Level. It came to me that I still would look for rules and restraints, as per graphic design education.

I had never printed onto material before and this is something that I now know is a possibility at college. The colours were far more washed out than I had wanted, and I feel we picked the wrong material. If I was to do it again I would have liked to print the flag onto a heavier canvas.

The design was highly process driven, which was a nice change. The majority of my work comes from arduous concept stages, and I feel that conducting this brief may push me to work in a more organic and process led way. I enjoyed this working method and I will perhaps use this as a tool, depending on the brief in future.




Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.