You Are Reading

SECRET7_PROJECT





What did I do?

With all honesty, the research for this brief was not massively indepth. Infact, it was not particularly necessary research I conducted. I was very aware of the band, the song, the intention, context, and movement that the music was involved in, so I did not particularly need to looking this too much. I did however look into the artwork for the band, as I could not recollect this. I also looked into the way that fan art, alternative artwork, and parodies can completely alter the perception of the subject matter.


Why did I do it?


I looked into the original band artwork as I wanted to steer away from the look that the band had originally created. I looked into the way people create alternative artwork, as I feel it really says something about the individual, and their own reading into a particular subject matter. The South Park parody has been a favourite of mine for a while, and I recalled this when thinking about the brief, and creating an alternate feel for a piece of popular culture. Similarly the posters above it play with and completely avert the content they represent.


What more could I have done?


I guess if this was a serious vinyl sleeve brief I could have done a lot of primary research into the fan base, which is what I image Love did when they branded One Direction. However, this is a far more personal brief, with my own personal intentions and rationale. I really felt this brief was for me to take as my own, and for me to make into whatever I wanted. In reality I am aware that the context of this brief is a no-goer, unless I can turn myself into the next Kate Moross over the next couple of months. 


What direction did I take?

I took the direction of a sulltry and sexy mood with plenty of innuendo juxtaposed with a touch of confident class through reduction. I think that decsribes it perfectly so I will leave it there.


Why did I take this direction?

I took this direction because I felt it was the direction that I needed to take this brief in order for it to satisfy my intention for doing it. I felt the song suggests so much, and it is done in such a raucous manner to the extent where the only answer for an ironic aesthetic is to take it in the direction I did.


What influenced me?

I was influenced by stereotypically feminine colour palettes, smutty visuals, parody, and sexy photography. I liked the way that a combination of these things can be very suggestive and I wanted to play on all of these within the vinyl cover.








How did I develop the brief?

During my research and design direction stages it became very clear what I needed to do. I had the idea in my head and I merely drew one variation, as that is all it needed. I sometimes think it would have been better to submit my development drawing, as the representation is suitable misleading in itself.


What problems did I have?

The only problems I had were taking a good photo. A suitable amount of photoshop was needed, but other than that the problems were minimal.

It goes without saying, that briefs done for the self, have an immediate level of blind satisfaction. No particular problem is answered and it means that the number of problems that arise are minimal. This is a habit that needs to be regulated, as in industry briefs are never really done for the self, unless one has the privelage of working for oneself.


Was it successful?

Once again, it was successful for me. However, as I submitted it to the SECRET 7” exhibition the only real way it would be successful is if I it got chosen to be exhibited and subsequently sold. Both of which the design achieved. 











Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.