You Are Reading

RUDIMENTALDRUMS_RESEARCH











What did I do?


I thought that this brief required not only a look into the subject matter, but a look into the locale of the business. Matthew is based in Barnsley, so I thought that in order to engage with his clientele from that area it would be good to emulate the local colour palette.

I looked into the drums, and what made the drum kit special in the world of musical instruments. I found that the drums is based on Rudiments, and while other instruments are based on a set of techniques, the rudiments were exclusive to the drums.


Why did I do it?
I wanted to give the identity and brand an unmistakeable aesthetic. There are many different types of musical tuition and from my research I found that there were many people in the local area doing similar things. I wanted to create something extremely strong and bold, that would cut through less inviting visuals. I wanted a starting point, and my initial points of reference opened up pathways for further investigation. For example, I found that drum rudiments were exclusive to the snare drum, which informed me greatly.


What more could I have done?


I think that this brief would have suited some research into the target audience. The brief was interesting because there were effectively two target audiences for the two different services that Matthew provides. The identity needed to be approachable by students, but professional for the session work that Matthew was looking to get. I could have done surveys and tests, within my design development in order to ensure that my design answered the both problems.

Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.