You Are Reading

RUDIMENTALDRUMS_DEVELOPMENT











What direction did I take?

I was influenced from the shapes of the snare drum, and more indepthly, the snare rattle. I liked that the shape of the rattle, and the wavy lines had a resonating quality to them. The pattern on the snare drum of the wear is anothing thing I found endearing about the drum. In addition to this I wanted to build around a red, pattern, and bold type.


Why did I take this direction?

I decided to build the brand around the most identifiable part of the drum kit, and it was the shapes of the snare drum that I was very interested in developing. I felt that this strengthened the brand to have a name, visual, and brand ethic that was built around the same stimulus. I worked toward a bold type style based around a copy led promotion strategy. I felt that this was the easiest and quickest way to get peoples attention, in schools and bars.


What influenced me?

I was influenced by wavy shapes and pattern that have always had a relationship with music, whether it’s from the literal vibration of the strings of an instrument, or the more tech driven media visualiser that always contains some form of wavy lines. I was influenced by the red of the local football team, and the fact that this colour is very high impact. Rather than using black on the red, I decided to use white in order to heighten the contrast.
















How did I develop the brief?

I started with a very poor initial design. There was no concept, and no real design direction. After I decided that I needed to employ my full design process I started to look into the problem I was trying to solve and how I could individualise the branding. This came with a client meeting, and a more thorough understanding of the problem.

After I understood the client’s intention, I started to develop the brief from the initial research stage, to design direction, and finally visual development.


What problems did I have?

You can see from my full development on my blog that the brief started in a very dire state. I had not done the appropriate research before I started designing, and this led to a very poor development of the brief. Being embarassed about my intitial designs spurred me to look into the brief and develop a better design process for the brief. This brief was done earlier in the year when I had not reflected on my design process and fully understood how to refine it. I feel that I now understand how to put together a strong a consistent design process.


Was it successful?

I was very happy with how the brief went after I solved a few of my own initial problems. The client was very happy with the result of my development, and I feel that my process became more consistent with a professional design process. I was happy with the work that I did, but I wish that the brief was more substantial in order for me to make further design decisions. As it happened, all that was really needed were business cards, print promotion. I tried to think further about the design direction, but I would have liked to apply it to reality.




Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.