You Are Reading

SHED_RESEARCH/CONCEPT






Rejected Concept and Idea that I still quite like




What did I do?


At the beginning of this brief I immersed myself in primary research. I visited the venue that the event was held at and I took a walk around the surrounding area to see what there was from the surroundings. I looked into the music that was going to be played at the event and I also looked into the branding of the venue and the tone of the surroundings.


Why did I do it?

I conducted this type of research as I felt that once I had collected all of the influences that make up the event, I would have all the material I needed to put together a visual that would represent this event in the most honest way possible. The brief lasted 3 days, and during this time I immersed myself in the cause, through the quick, but in depth (for the size of the brief) research that I conducted, I was able to create my own narrative for the poster that came from making connections through it’s components.


What more could I have done?


I was very happy with the amount of research that I did. As the brief progressed and I created a narrative and feel for the event, I felt that I could start to involve more visual research. This stage happened when I fully understood what needed to be communicated.

While this brief was quite short, I feel that the amount of researched I gained impressed myself. Understanding the event allowed me to design a very appropriate visual and I felt that from this moment I started to develop a good methodology for researching briefs.


What direction did I take?


After deciding that the brief should have a DIY aesthetic. I started to think about what a DIY aesthetic actually is, literally and metaphorically. I looked into jazz posters with it’s improvised visual approach and hand printed aesthetics that found beauty through imperfection. I then decided, after drawing up some potential visual directions, that the direction should take a more literal approach, and mash the DIY SHED theme with the theme of music.


Why did I take this direction?

I took this direction because I was inspired by creating a visual reaction to the music. Not so much in the way that I would visually represent sound waves by looking at the music through a media player then rip off the shapes, or paint the typeface while listening to music. Rather I would take elements from my research and insert their nuances into my design, so that the direction would be accessible, but with meaning and reference.


What influenced me?

I was influenced by the space of a shed, and the organisation of the shed. I liked the way that these things were stuck on walls as a reference point, but I felt that their arrangement was too pristine. I liked the idea of organised confusion found in Jazz improvisation, and I felt this had a very DIY feel. I became inspired by bespoke typography, and very characterful type designs. I was also particularly inspired by the limited colour palettes of some of the examples above, and I felt these would work nicely against a more liberal layout.








Comments for this entry

Leave your comment

 

Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.

RSS Feed. This blog is proudly powered by Blogger and uses Modern Clix, a theme by Rodrigo Galindez. Modern Clix blogger template by Introblogger.